Google Inishowen News & Business Directory
Drop Down Menu

Flyin’ Ryan too hot to handle 21.01.11
Jackie Crossan Premier Division

(D. Doherty, R. McLaughlin, C. Doherty)

Glengad United...2
(P. McDermott, JG McLaughlin)

by Caoimhinn Barr, Inishowen Independent, in Carn (Photo: Herbie Barr)

A HOTLY disputed injury time Cathal Doherty penalty helped Carn to overcome Glengad following a pulsating local derby at Malin Road on Sunday afternoon.
Referee Eamon Doherty pointed to the spot as the clock ticked down after an alleged handball by a falling defender in a crowded goalmouth. The award, an extremely harsh one, drew the wrath of the entire Glengad team with manager Liam McClean also running onto the field to loudly voice his displeasure.
With feelings running high Cathal ‘Kinnego’ kept his nerve to send keeper Houghton the wrong way to grab all three points much to the delight of the home fans, many of whom sounded their car horns in approval. Moments later Glengad midfielder John G. McLaughlin was red carded to complete a miserable end to the game for United.
The outcome was tough on Glengad who had earlier twice fought back to level proceedings courtesy of strikes by Patrick McDermott and John G. McLaughlin either side of half-time.
Apart from the last-gasp penalty, Carn’s victory was due in large part to rising star Ryan McLaughlin, who brilliantly crafted an opening for Dermot Doherty to score in the first-half before chipping in with a goal himself in the second.
Time and again, young McLaughlin’s pace had Glengad on the back foot while Carn full-back Brendan Tabb also deserves credit for driving his team forward at every opportunity.
The game, which ended in chaotic scenes, began with a minute silence in honour of Elizabeth McLaughlin, the Carn woman, who died tragically last month.
Playing with the help of a strong wind at their backs, Glengad quickly pinned Carn in their own half before carving out the game’s first chance after ten minutes.
Ruairi Kelly and John G. McDermott combined well on the right to release Stephen McLaughlin who crossed for Terence Doherty to fire straight at Declan O’Donnell in the Carn goal from eight yards.
Stephen McLaughlin and Terence Doherty were in threatening mood moments later but excellent Carn defender Gerard McEleney was quickly across to clear the danger for the home side.
John G. Dermott won a corner soon after following an astute headed flick by Stephen McLaughlin as Glengad turned up the heat on a cold January afternoon. John G. McLaughlin then gathered good midfield possession before laying off to Terence Doherty, who fired off-target from 25 yards.
A John G. McDermott cross following a Ruairi Kelly throw-in almost deceived Declan O’Donnell as it caught the wind and whistled narrowly wide from 35 yards on the right wing before Ryan McLaughlin sparked the Carn attack into life. The lively forward embarked on a fifty-yard run before clipping the ball to the far post where Shane Doherty collected the ball and almost broke the deadlock after his cross struck the Glengad bar.
In another rare first-half foray against the wind, Carn took the lead. It was no surprise that young home talent Ryan McLaughlin was involved; his stunning run and cross was met perfectly by Dermot Doherty who lashed the ball high into the net from ten yards.
The goal elicited a greater degree of urgency in the Glengad attack and Liam McClean’s men finished the period in the ascendancy with Terence Doherty firing wide before Patrick McDermott’s thunderbolt from thirty yards flew past Declan O’Donnell into the top corner of the Carn net to bring the game level.
The visitors should have edged in front in first-half injury time but John G. McLaughlin headed Terence Doherty’s pinpoint cross narrowly wide of the target. This after both full-backs, Jason Doherty and Ruairi Kelly had stung the hands of Carn stopper O’Donnell.
The second-half favoured wind-assisted Carn but it was Glengad who began the period with the bit between their teeth with Seamus Doherty and John G. McLaughlin both going close before Kevin Kelly bravely blocked John G. McDermott’s goal bound effort.
Gathering a long ball, Ryan McLaughlin had Carn on the attack on the hour mark, skipping past his man before picking out Cathal Doherty, who rifled his effort straight at Seamus Houghton in the Glengad goal.
Glengad substitute Paul McDermott then shot wide before a Ryan McLaughlin free-kick for Carn clipped Houghton’s crossbar as the game swung from end-to-end.
With little over ten minutes remaining Carn striker Ryan McLaughlin performed another star turn, controlling the ball on the left before his cross-shot flew into the top corner to put the home side back in front.
Carn joy was short-lived however as less than two minutes later Glengad got back on level terms again after John G. McLaughlin guided his header to the corner of the net following Seamus Doherty’s corner.
With the game heading for a draw, Cathal Doherty’s last gasp controversial spot-kick handed all three points to Carn. To compound matters for the visitors, John G. McLaughlin was red carded for a second bookable defence as the clock ticked down.

Carn: Declan O’Donnell, Brendan Tabb, Kevin Kelly, Cathal O’Kane, Gerard McEleney, Darren Loftus, Shane Doherty, Ronan Doherty, Cathal Doherty, Ryan McLaughlin, Dermot Doherty. Subs: Tiernan Coyne, Sean McLaughlin, Paddy McGuinness, Liam Doherty, Gerry Simpson.

Glengad United: Seamus Houghton, Ruairi Kelly, Jason Doherty, Charlie Byrne, Shane Doherty, Patrick McDermott, Stephen McLaughlin, John G McLaughlin, Terence Doherty, John G McDermott, Seamus Doherty. Subs: Paul McDermott, Paul McGonagle, John McDaid, Lee Kelly.

For full coverage of all your weekend sport, read the Inishowen Independent.
Add to Favorites :: Return to > Sports    > News    > Home