Halloween can be a lot of
fun especially for our children and young people and
while we want everyone to have an enjoyable time, please
remember that bonfires can cause serious damage and
injuries both to our environment and to your health.
In the lead up to Halloween night Donegal County Council
is asking householders and businesses not to provide
materials for bonfires.
Suzanne Bogan, Waste Awareness Officer said that “while
traditionally wood and straw were used on bonfires, in
recent times materials such as tyres, mattresses,
couches, furniture, plastics, aerosols, foam, metal,
painted timber and household waste are being burned on
bonfires. This type of activity is illegal. It is also
an offence to supply waste materials to parties
collecting for bonfires. The uncontrolled burning of
these waste types is very damaging to our health and
environment as harmful dioxins are created and released
into the air that we breathe."
Bonfires can also very
often be built close to houses and other property and
can cause serious damage and injuries particularly where
the burning of highly combustible materials is taking
place. Watch the short video above on the issues with
bonfires and view the 'Stay Safe at Halloween' video
message below created by the Donegal Fire Service.
Fireworks can have a
devastating impact on guide dogs and their owners
according to Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind.
The charity, which supports those who are vision
impaired and the families of children with autism, said
fireworks can be extremely distressing for all animals
but particularly working dogs such as guide and
assistance dogs. As a result, some dogs are no longer
able to support their owners and therefore must be