Google Inishowen News & Business Directory
Drop Down Menu

Glengad win inaugural Cooper Cup 20.08.10

Barney Cooper Cup Final

Glengad United...3
Carrowmena FC...3
(Glengad won on penalties)

HOSTS Glengad United claimed the inaugural Barney Cooper Cup in the Crua on Friday evening last as they edged out Carrowmena on penalties after the game had finished with the sides tied at 3-3. Both teams served up an entertaining game before a large crowd as Glengad came from three goals to ten down to equalize in the last 10 minutes before winning in the penalty shoot out.
Glengad began brightly, dominating possession in the first ten minutes. They took the lead, rather fortuitously, after a near post corner by John G McDermott eluded the Carrowmena keeper and ended up in the net. Minutes later a neat passing movement by the home side released striker, Terence Doherty, but his first touch took the ball too close to the goalkeeper who smothered his effort at the second attempt.
Carrowmena settled into the game after this scare with Raymond Campbell and Paul Duffy gaining the upper hand in the middle of the field. On the half hour mark they equalized when a poor Glengad corner was cleared by Ruairi Dougal on the near post and his header fell to Aaron Nash, whose searing pace took him away from defenders
Lee Kelly and Ruairi Doherty. Nash finished confidently from 12 yards. Ten minutes later Glengad conceded a needless free kick on the right hand edge of the penalty area and Nash stepped up to rifle an unstoppable shot into the net past substitute goalkeeper Ruairi Kelly who had replaced the injured Michael McLaughlin.
In the second half Carrowmena continued to dominate and it was no surprise when they
increased their lead on the hour when Raymond Campbell scored at the near post. In fairness to Glengad they responded well to this setback and pressurized Carrowmena for the remainder of the game. In the 70th minute Paul McDermott was fouled in the penalty area and John Gerard McLaughlin confidently reduced the deficit. Glengad created a number of half chances in the subsequent minutes and it was no surprise when they scored the equalizer in the 80th minute. The Carrowmena defence was under severe pressure and when John Gerard McLaughlin was fouled on the edge of the box Paul McDermott confidently scored from 25 yards. The home side nearly snatched the winner in the dying minutes when Terence Doherty raced through the Carrowmena defence only to rush his effort and he shot wide of the goal.
In the penalty shootout Glengad’s Ruairi Kelly proved to be the hero of the day when he saved three of Carrowmena’s penalties to claim the cup for Glengad. Both teams deserve credit for serving up a very sporting and entertaining game.
After John McDaid, son of the late Barney Cooper, presented the cup to Shane Doherty, captain of the Glengad team.

For full coverage of all your weekend sport, read the Inishowen Independent.
Return to > Sports    > News    > Home